Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2011 So Far

We are almost two weeks into the new year, and I am already neglecting one of my resolutions: to be more attentive to my blog.  In an attempt to resurrect my blog's sense of timeliness, I am providing an up to date record of the past week's activities before another another week flies by.  Other than becoming a better blogger, my resolutions are as follows:


1.  Try new foods.  I am notorious for my strange eating habits.  I don't eat foods with contradicting textures. For example: melons, foods with pits, drinks/yogurt with pulp, anything on the bone, etc. In the rare event that I do eat meat, it must be thoroughly cooked, easy to chew, and one color, ie. no light/dark meat.  Seafood is off limits as well, which is most unbelievable seeing as I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay in a city whose economic livelihood was centered around the crabbing and fishing industries. Needless to say, my food fears have resulted in a less than typical diet which over the years has begun to be a problem. This year, I will make a conscious effort to try new foods and abandon my finicky habits.





2.  Plan a family trip.  2010 was a tough year, and I think my mother, brother and I could all use a vacation.  My Mom, the self-proclaimed travel agent, has successfully booked fabulous trips for the family throughout the years.  I think this year would be the perfect time for me to plan a getaway and prove that Mom's travel-savvy tips have been taken to heart.  Although I will not be able to compete with Mom's African safari outings, or Swiss Alps skiing trips, I do hope to plan a relaxing vacation somewhere sunny.





3.  Be a better friend.  Cheesy I know but, this past year I have gained a new appreciation for the incredible group of friends with whom I have been blessed.  When people ask how I have been doing these past few months, I confidently respond, without hesitation, "I would be doing much worse if it weren't for my friends".  I have so much to thank my friends for and, although there are no words that could sufficiently define how grateful I am for their ongoing love and support, I will try to return the favor any way I can. 




Speaking of friends and the New Year, I was thrilled to be able to ring in 2011 with my friends Wilson and Tippins at their home in Murrells Inlet, SC.  The hosts set up a fire pit and treated the guests to an oyster roast among many other lowcountry specialties.  


The hosts
Me and little Rex
Ben, Charlotte and Tippins
Will and me


The weather was unusually warm on New Year's Day, so we spent the afternoon walking on the beach and enjoying an outdoor lunch.  For dinner, we went to a hibachi grill, and it was quite an entertaining meal.  Unbeknownst to me, Will informed our waiter that it was my birthday (not really) and by the end of the meal I was surrounded by a group of singing staff members and dancing on my chair.







.....Must Have.....

Trying to alleviate some of Mom's Christmas shopping stress, I opted to purchase gifts for our neighbors and my second family, the Lockwoods.  I stumbled across the goldmine of discount websites, 6PM, and within minutes I found Katie a stylish pair of Kate Spade glasses and even ended up getting Will a Mountain Hardwear jacket.  Shopping for my best friend Jessica, however, proved to be a challenge.  Jess said she wanted a clutch that was big enough to carry by itself but small enough to fit in your purse as a wallet.  The leather Hobo International Mavis fit the bill.  







Thanks to the shopper friendly web developers of 6PM, I was able to see the clutch from all angles.  The selling point was the site's video which showed a model carrying the clutch and explaining the features of the Mavis.  The video allowed me to see the actual size and brought my attention to the "secret zipper compartment" that is cleverly concealed along the bag's underside.  I bought one for Jess, and I suppose Will was sick of me gushing about this perfect find because a few days later, he slipped the clutch into my hand before we headed out for dinner.  I am now the proud owner of my own Mavis, and unfortunately for Will, I still haven't stopped singing its praises.


.....Must Hear.....



No comments:

Post a Comment