Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

DIY Chevron Rug

A few months ago, sick of the beige sea that was my apartment, I decided that a new rug would add the pop of color I was looking for.  I had my eye on this 5 x 8 rug:

Chevron Rug, PoolOnly problem, it came with a $270 price tag. I quickly discovered that the only rug I could afford would be a door mat, and that would look pretty pitiful under my coffee table.  So, thanks to the help of this post and this video, I found a solution to my dilemma.  With a little bit of paint, and a little more patience, I would give my existing rug a face lift!



Step 1: I gave the rug a good, long vacuuming to ensure that I had “a smooth canvas”.


Step 2: I went to Home Depot and purchased the goods.

-   Behr Self-Priming Interior Flat Paint in White (1 Gallon)

-   Behr Self-Priming Interior Flat Paint in Glacier Bay (1 Quart)

-   Large Foam Roller

-   Paint Tray

-   Paint Brush

-   Painter’s Tape

Step 3: I put the carpet on a tarp and secured my rug using the painter’s tape. I chose to leave the border natural, but you don’t have to. I then applied one layer of the White paint using my large foam roller. Depending on how thick your rug is, you may have to apply two coats. Let it dry over night.



Step 4:  Time for the tricky part- the chevrons.  The video I included earlier does a great job of explaining how to get accurate zigs and zags using painter’s tape.  Even with this help though, it takes a while to get the tape “just so”.  Start with your straight lines.



Step 5: Now that you have a grid, add your chevrons.  Make sure to mark the stripes that you are going to be leaving white to avoid any potential mishaps. 



Step 6: Using my paint brush, I applied a coat of my blue paint to the chevrons and before it dried, I peeled off the tape. This ensures that your paint won’t cling to the tape.    *** I would recommend using a small foam roller instead of a brush for this step. Some of the bristles fell off and had to be picked off the rug. ***



Step 7: I let the paint dry overnight and did some final touch ups the next day.




Step 8 (optional): If you have a sander, sanding the rug makes for a more finished and smooth product. 

TA-DAH!



I have had the rug in my apartment for about 5 months now, and it still looks good as new, even after several vacuums and a few spills. Purchasing a rug online might have been time effective, but not cost effective. The original jute rug cost me $20 at Southeastern Salvage and supplies for the project cost around $45.  So for less than $70, I was able to get the rug I was eyeing for a fraction of the price!


No comments:

Post a Comment