Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

PurpleStride 2010

 "Let us run this race that is before us and never give up" Hebrews 12:1

This was the daily devotional my friend Anna Perkins received a few days before her trip to Raleigh for PurpleStride.  When Anna shared this information with me, I couldn't help but smile.  It was impossible for me to convince myself that it was merely coincidence that Anna received this particular verse in the last days of fundraising. I was more inspired than ever and I sent a few last minute emails to friends and family urging them to donate.

The weekend finally arrived, and on Friday night, Will, my roommate Joe, 5 girlfriends and I went to dinner at Cameron Bar and Grill. My brother and his friends arrived around 11 all the way from Jacksonville! We celebrated well into the morning, dancing and catching up at Fosters.  We had a blast, and it was such a nice start to what was bound to be a wonderful weekend.

The girls at my apartment before dinner

Me, Mary Loyal, Anna, Lauren, Bethany and Anne


Lauren, Anne, Bethany and Joe at dinner

Me and ML on the dance floor. 

Saturday the rest of the clan arrived.  By three the next day our party of 8 became a party of 15 with the arrival of Tippins, Wilson, Jessica, Blanche, Frances, Louisa and Kat.  At 5:30 we headed to the McDougal's house for cocktails.

 Nancy and her husband Gregg were nice enough to host 25+ PurpleStriders.  


Geo, Mom and Me

Purple ornaments for Team Pauli's Girls

My brother George announced he had a gift for me, Jessica and Bethany

Imagine our surprise when the trickster Iced us all! Very clever, Yetti.

We then paraded next door for dinner at Jami and David Holt's house.  Jami made a huge dinner of baked ziti, salad, and bread for everyone, followed by her famous strawberry cake. My friend from home, Megan, joined us for dinner, as well as several more aunts, uncles, and cousins. We entertained ourselves by playing "The Cereal Box Game," which challenges participants to pick up an ever-shrinking cereal box (or in this case a paper bag) using only their mouths.     
                     



The next day we all enjoyed the extra hour of sleep and began getting ready for the big event.  I was so touched when my friend Abby flew in Sunday morning from Atlanta to attend the race.  Our fleet of vehicles processed to Fletcher Park where the first ever PurpleStride Raleigh-Durham was held.  My long time friend (and newlywed) Katharine, her father, and husband Kyle even made it into town for race!  Everyone was decked out in their purple and white gear, face paint and all. 

Lauren, Boyd, Mary Loyal, and Louisa

Lady LaLa

Where would I be without them!

Although she was unable to attend, my dear friend Hanna designed the team's shirts. We received countless compliments and were thrilled with Hanna's finished product!



Over 700 racers gathered at 2 o'clock and listened as the top fundraisers were announced. Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of friends and family, I raised over $7,000 and was named PurpleStride Raleigh-Durham's Top Individual Fundraiser! 






I was even more humbled when Team Pauli's Girls was honored as the Top Fundraising Team!  Because of the love, dedication, and tireless efforts of my friends, we raised almost $15,000 for pancreatic cancer research!!!! 


I never dreamt of such an incredible outcome.  Then again, I never dreamt I would be blessed with such amazing friends.  Words cannot begin to express how grateful I am for my friends.  They selflessly dedicated their time and energy to raise awareness, and I hope someday I can repay them.  Thank you to everyone who helped make this year's PurpleStride a race worth running. May we never give up searching for a cure! 

WAY TO GO!!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing weekend with all of your sweet friends! Congratulations on all of your fundraising! I am sure your daddy is SO proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bag game pictures!! I am so excited to teach my friends and family how to play over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're post just gave me goose pimples!! Love you Roomie C! And love the nickname "Lady Lala"... too funny!!! Miss you and way to go this weekend! I know your father is so proud of you :) Can't wait to see you again soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete