Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Smashing Pumpkins

This past weekend, I took a much needed mini-vacay to the mountains with Will.  We left Friday night, destination: Troy, North Carolina.  Never heard of it? Neither had we.  Although the town had little to offer as far as entertainment and attractions, its tranquility and breathtaking display of fall colors was the quintessence of a dream getaway for yours truly. The cabin was straight from the pages of L.L. Bean, just as I had envisioned it.


Saturday, I awoke from hibernation around the crack of noon (I cannot remember the last time I slept past 9 AM)! We had planned to head to Asheboro that day to go to the zoo, but our schedule was a bit askew as a result of my semi-coma.  Nevertheless, we began the 45 minute drive to Asheboro. Along the way we made a pit stop at an eclectic art gallery.  By the time we left Circa it was already three, and we had not eaten lunch. We decided to put off our zoo plans for one more day, and good thing we did or we would have missed THIS:


YES! That is an elephant smashing a pumpkin.  To our surprise, the North Carolina State Zoo throws pumpkins into the Elephant Reserve on Halloween every year, much to the elephant's delight.  It was so amazing to see the elephants seemingly exert no energy to squash their festive meal. I loved every exhibit, but this one was by far my favorite. We spent 4 hours walking from exhibit to exhibit and then headed back to Raleigh.


In other news, a few weeks ago, I spotted a hutch that had been abandoned by its owner outside my apartment building. At first glance, the macaroni yellow paint job seemed less than appealing, but upon closer inspection, I discovered the reject woodwork had potential. There were no chips, the wood was smooth and cared for, and the carpentry well executed. 


Despite my initial grimace, I happily hauled my new treasure back to the apartment. I intended on bringing the hutch home over Thanksgiving and painting it with my father, seeing as he loved all things handyman. After Dad's passing, I rode back to Raleigh with Bethany and Jessica, and the first thing I saw when I opened the door to my apartment was the hutch. Immediately, tears welt up in my eyes. But before a tear could drop, B and Ca whisked me off to the hardware store to pick up the essentials for completing my project.  Five days, four spray cans and three coats later, our work was done.  I now present the newest fixture in my room!


Ta-Da! I immediately propped a picture of Dad and me on my masterpiece. So here you are Dad, it may have been a bit of a challenge, but with a little help from my friends, I completed my first Do-It-Yourself project!


.....Must Have.....



 

When I daydream about decorating my first home, my mind is flooded with images of blown glass vases, mosaic framed accents and white couches covered in throw pillows featuring my favorite color combination: turquoise and coral.  My beachy interior design preferences probably stem from growing up on the Chesapeake Bay.  Sharing my affinity for all things beachy, my grandmother, a fabulous artist and designer, influenced my tastes as well.  As a little girl, I remember admiring her as she decorated our family's beach house. She had the ability to infuse every room with nautical symbolism and summery tones while maintaining the feel of a home rather than a weekend escape. I instantly fell in love with Marjorie Skouras Design. I particularly adore her sea glass chandeliers. Her breathtaking fixtures are the focal point of any room, whether it be a foyer, a bathroom, or in my wild mind, my future walk-in closet.

.....Must Hear.....

No comments:

Post a Comment